GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.
– The Grand Rapids Griffins on Friday announced their schedule for the 2021-22 American Hockey League season. It will mark the franchise’s 26th campaign overall, 21st as members of the AHL and 20th as the primary affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings.
Under fourth-year head coach Ben Simon
, the Griffins will begin a full 76-game schedule when they host the Rockford IceHogs on Friday, Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. for Opening Night presented by Huntington Bank, marking the first time since 2017 that they’ll open the season at Van Andel Arena.
With the celebration of 25 seasons of Griffins hockey (1996-2021) having been put on ice last season due to the COVID pandemic, and with fans expected to be able to return to Van Andel Arena in full force this fall, the upcoming season will include a variety of festivities and promotions to honor the franchise’s first quarter-century.
Full details will be announced in the coming months, but at the forefront of that celebration is a 25th anniversary, puck-shaped logo in the team’s primary colors of red, black and metallic silver. Beneath a large numeral 25, the logo features the team’s wordmark with the Grand Rapids skyline, positioned above a pair of Calder Cups and the year that the franchise was established. This anniversary logo will be used in a variety of applications, including as a patch on the Griffins’ primary jersey and the centerpiece of a third jersey that the team will wear periodically in 2021-22.
“When the Griffins take to our home ice on Friday, Oct. 15, it will have been 583 days since we last competed at Van Andel Arena in front of more than 750 fans. To say we are excited would be a massive understatement,” said Griffins president Tim Gortsema
. “We are thrilled to welcome back the best fans in the American Hockey League and excited to kick off our 25th anniversary season. Due to last season’s shortened status and season-long capacity constraints, we dubbed it as ‘24 ½.’ This year, we are planning on all systems go – and therefore sellout crowds – as we celebrate 25 seasons of hockey, looking back at some great moments and great players while also looking forward to another terrific season and being reunited with our fervent fans.”
Highlights of the 2021-22 schedule include:
• Twenty-seven prime home dates (15 Fridays and 12 Saturdays) out of 38 games;
• The return of Ontario to the schedule for the first time since the 2018-19 season, plus games against Bakersfield, Manitoba, Milwaukee, Texas and Toronto for the first time since 2019-20;
• The Griffins’ 24th annual New Year’s Eve celebration versus Milwaukee on Fri., Dec. 31 (6 p.m. start), in addition to playing on Halloween (Oct. 31) and the day after Thanksgiving (Nov. 26);
• Grand Rapids’ 20th annual Matinee Game against Chicago on Wed., Nov. 17 at 11 a.m.
for the 2021-22 Griffins schedule and breakdown.
Group tickets for all home dates at Van Andel Arena are now on sale, along with 2021-22 season ticket packages. Single-game tickets will go on sale to the public in September. Call (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com
for more information